Kindly supported by Inner West Council
NATIVE BEE HIVE SPLIT – Saturday 25th November 2017
Where: St Peters Public School – at the kitchen garden,
St Peters Street, St Peters, NSW 2044
Entry: Gold coin donation
• Refreshments and native bee honey for sale
Click here to RSVP:
Local native bee expert Gavin Smith will be splitting our native bee hive. Come along to view the unique spiral formation of the hive, hear a fascinating talk about native bees, their habits, and life-cycle; and taste some of their sought-after honey.
“Splitting” involves separating an established hive, allowing a new hive to grow independently from the first. This new hive will be donated to a school / community garden.
Native Bee habitats are under threat, hosting a native bee hive at our school helps to sustain, support and increase the species (Tetragonula carbonaria – a small, sting-less, social bee). In return, our kitchen garden benefits from these tiny pollinators – offering fantastic learning opportunities for our students.
Recipient must meet the following criteria:
• representative must attend the hive split at St Peters on 25th November
• school or community garden (ie. not for profit)
• suitable place identified to keep the hive (site near year-round sources of forage & water, consideration for sun/heat/shade, etc.)
• method to secure hive in place (eg. in a padlocked gabion basket, bolted to tree)
• nominated person/s to be hive 'guardian' and check on its welfare regularly (box damage, pest invasion, over/under temperature, insulation, etc.)
• commitment to not use pesticides or herbicides within forage footprint
• commitment to conduct education of school population or community garden users about the hive, respect, proper care and treatment, etc.
• commitment to engage professional to conduct future hive splits (unless the recipient has expertise in hive splitting, they must budget for this periodic maintenance cost, around $150 annually)
• commitment to donate any future hive splits through Inner West Sustainable Schools Network.
NATIVE BEE HIVE GIVE AWAY!
Would you like a native bee hive for your school or community garden?
We are splitting our TC hive on 25th Nov
– if you would like to take the newly formed hive from our split,
please contact send your details ASAP to or call 0421 33 7170, indicating that your school or community garden meets the criteria listed: