Kindly supported by Inner West Council
NATIVE BEE HIVE SPLIT – Saturday 25th November 2017
Where: St Peters Public School – at the kitchen garden,
St Peters Street, St Peters, NSW 2044
Entry: Gold coin donation
• Refreshments and native bee honey for sale
Click here to RSVP:
Local native bee expert Gavin Smith will be splitting our native bee hive. Come along to view the unique spiral formation of the hive, hear a fascinating talk about native bees, their habits, and life-cycle; and taste some of their sought-after honey.
“Splitting” involves separating an established hive, allowing a new hive to grow independently from the first. This new hive will be donated to a school / community garden.
Native Bee habitats are under threat, hosting a native bee hive at our school helps to sustain, support and increase the species (Tetragonula carbonaria – a small, sting-less, social bee). In return, our kitchen garden benefits from these tiny pollinators – offering fantastic learning opportunities for our students.
Recipient must meet the following criteria:
• representative must attend the hive split at St Peters on 25th November
• school or community garden (ie. not for profit)
• suitable place identified to keep the hive (site near year-round sources of forage & water, consideration for sun/heat/shade, etc.)
• method to secure hive in place (eg. in a padlocked gabion basket, bolted to tree)
• nominated person/s to be hive 'guardian' and check on its welfare regularly (box damage, pest invasion, over/under temperature, insulation, etc.)
• commitment to not use pesticides or herbicides within forage footprint
• commitment to conduct education of school population or community garden users about the hive, respect, proper care and treatment, etc.
• commitment to engage professional to conduct future hive splits (unless the recipient has expertise in hive splitting, they must budget for this periodic maintenance cost, around $150 annually)
• commitment to donate any future hive splits through Inner West Sustainable Schools Network.
NATIVE BEE HIVE GIVE AWAY!
Would you like a native bee hive for your school or community garden?
We are splitting our TC hive on 25th Nov
– if you would like to take the newly formed hive from our split,
please contact send your details ASAP to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0421 33 7170, indicating that your school or community garden meets the criteria listed: